Makiling Lodge No. 72

... on the level ...

The Rough and Rugged Road ...

The Constitution; May 13.1922

Makiling Lodge No. 72 was originally established in the municipality of Calamba, Laguna by virtue of a dispensation issued by the MW Grand Lodge of the Philippines on April 6, 1921. A year later it was issued a charter duly signed by MW Quintin Paredes, Grand Master and RW Newton C. Comfort, the Grand Secretary, On May 13, 1922, the Lodge was finally constituted with Bro. Juan Muñoz as Master, Bro. Candido Capadocia, as Senior Warden and Bro. Florencio Corteciano as Junior Warden, under the jurisdiction of the Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of the Philippines.

During the Second World War, many of the members were killed while most of those who survived moved to other provinces. The paraphernalia and equipment of the Lodge were all destroyed. Consequently, the Lodge became inactive for almost 20 years.

Reconstitution: February 18.1959
On the occasion of the Annual Visitation of the Grand Master to Malinaw Lodge No. 25 of San Pablo city and Pinagsabitan Lodge No. 26 at Sta. Cruz, Laguna, the Most Worshipful Vicente Orosa expressed the desire to revive Makiling Lodge No. 72. The spade work of this great undertaking fell on the shoulders of Bro. Nicanor Teodoro. He then enlisted the support of some remaining old members of Makiling Lodge and the participation of active members from other lodges.

Through the untiring efforts of the few brethren and the encouragement of the Grand Lodge Officers, the Lodge was eventually reconstituted on February 18, 1959. It began its Masonic activities on February 28, 1959 with the installation of the first post war officers who were selected from the twelve original members.

The Traveling Lodge
After a few years stay in Calamba using the Chinese School in Miller St. as its Lodge, a historically colorful life of the Lodge opened up when it moved nearer to the campus of the University of the Philippines, Los Baños, Laguna in 1962 under the leadership of WM Teodoro C. Delizo, in its desire to draw more members from the faculties of the Colleges of Agriculture and Forestry. The Lodge was housed on the second floor of Hongkong Restaurant located in Grove, College. True enough, the membership gradually increased from 12 in 1958 to 36 in 1962.

In 1965 under the leadership of WM Aquilino L. Carino, the Lodge moved again to the Green Har High School in Los Baños where it stayed for about eleven years (1965-1976) until the high school building was due for demolition. Having no choice, the Lodge from a hilltop in Los Banos moved towards the plains of the Student Christian Center of the Church Among the Palms under the mastership of WM Tilo J. Rimando in 1977. It only stayed for two years when again the center building was declared risky and due for renovation.

It was on this fifth transfer in 1979 under the dynamic leadership of WM Andrew O. Nocon that the Lodge stayed longer for 15 years (1979 to 1995) occupying the old Bowling Lanes owned by the Nocon family located at the Dimarses Subdivision in College. When the Lodge was able to buy the land as promised at the El Danda compound, plans have been worked out to construct the new Lodge building. It was in 1995 where the sixth transfer materialized under the leadership of WM Gregorio J. Tabuena to the garage of the house of WB Benito L. Lit and Sister Elvira Lit where the Maria Makiling Chapter No. 23, Order of the Eastern Star had been holding its stated meeting since 1994. A year after in 1996 the much awaited lodge temple building was constructed and finished in 1997 under the strong leadership of WM Florante C. Faustino.

Thus ending the proverbial 40 years of travel in the Valley of Mt. Makiling with jubilation and self-satisfaction among the members of the Masonic family.

The ANCOM '90
The expansion of the Masonic family in Los Banos has brought new activities and challenges that highlighted the most important historical event for the Lodge by hosting the 74th Annual Grand Communications of the Grand Lodge of the Philippines in April 22-24, 1990. The hosting of the ANCOM 1990 was a result of the presentation of a bid made by the five delegates of Makiling Lodge to the Baguio City ANCOM 1989. These five were V.W A. Nocon, WB T. Rimando, WB B. Lit, WB M. Dimaranan and WB S.I. Mancebo, the incumbent Worshipful Master. A pandemonium applause and resounding approval of all masons assembled at the Quezon Hall of the Teachers’ Camp followed after an eloquent delivery of the bid was made by the VW Andrew Nocon. After the bid, a year long preparation through rough and rugged road was made with the co-hosting of the Masonic District No. 11 (currently R-IVB) of Laguna and the University of the Philippines Los Banos. It was a memorable and historical success attended by about a thousand masons in the jurisdiction.